Equipment Registration Permitting
Permits: All applications and payments shall be submitted through the new electronic permit processing portal for your Equipment Registration Permits. Equipment Registration applications must be submitted for the installation of air pollution sources such as combustion (heating) equipment, process (manufacturing) equipment, air pollution control equipment, storage tanks and land remediation processes in suburban and unincorporated Cook County.
Register all air emission equipment even if they are defined as "Insignificant Sources" by Illinois EPA. For example, boiler under 10 MMBH is required to register with Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability. In addition to boilers, furnaces, and heaters under "Fuel Burning" the following facilities must also register:
- Restaurant: “Cooking Area” under “Processing”.
- Dry Cleaners: “Dry Cleaner Machines” under “Processing”.
- Gas Station: “Storage Tanks” under “Storage Tanks”.
- Data Center: Emergency generators under “Fuel Burning” and fuel tanks under “Storage Tanks”.
- Rock Crushers: Temporary/permanent
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (312) 603-8200 option 3.
As of December 1, 2017, the Cook County Department of Environmental Control is now the Department of Environment and Sustainability.