Cook County is a world-class model of sustainability. The Department of Environment and Sustainability works to boost sustainability practices throughout County Government and partners with local governments, nonprofits and businesses to create viable communities within the County.
Annual Sustainability Report
Cook County issues a sustainability report annually that showcases the County’s efforts to support healthy and resilient communities that thrive economically, socially and environmentally. The report looks at both what the County has done to make its internal operations more sustainable as well community initiatives.
- Launching the Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy program to provide favorable financing to commercial and industrial properties investing in energy and water efficiency, clean energy and resiliency.
- Winning a 2021 National Association of Counties Achievement Award for the Clean Energy Plan, which details the County’s path to carbon neutrality.
- Developing the Cook County Bike Plan, which will focus on expansion, equity and enhancement.
- Reducing water use in County-owned buildings by 5.3% from the previous year.
- Seeking to purchase a large portion of its electricity supply from a renewable source by 2023.
Previous reports can be found to the right under the downloads section.