Building and Zoning
med-level alert: Building and Zoning
Our mission is to promote the health, safety and welfare of all constituents throughout unincorporated Cook County. In order to perform our mission, we conduct plan reviews, responsible and timely inspections of buildings and properties as well as enforce all applicable building codes and zoning ordinances.
Our work involves reviewing plans and issuing permits for new structures and renovations and additions to existing ones, inspecting properties to ensure code compliance, issuing certificates of occupancy and certifying the zoning requirements for properties in our jurisdiction among other tasks.
Our department oversees all building and zoning matters in the unincorporated areas of Cook County and all of the Cook County Forest Preserve District. Inquiries regarding permits, zoning certificates and other matters for properties located in incorporated jurisdictions (municipalities) should contact the applicable local building and zoning authority.
I want to:
- Apply for a building permit on-line or zoning approval
- Find out about permit requirements
- Establish or renew contractor registration
- Apply for a business certificate of occupancy
- Register a multi-unit dwelling or residential rental building
- Respond to a violation on my property